Friday, June 28, 2013

A GREAT READ, THOUGH A DISSAPOINTING ENDING


Title: Illuminated
Author: Erica Orloff
Publisher: Speak; Original edition (December 8, 2011
Pages: 256

Every now and again, I come across a book by an author I never read before, and ILLUMINATED by ERICA ORLOFF, is one of them. I started reading YA books a few years back, and I have yet to be disappointed.

ILLUMINATED by ERICA ORLOFF is a refreshing read filled with subtle, yet just the right amount of drama, mystery, adventure, romance and faith. The writing is excellent, written in first person. The characters are well thought-out, and come to life. I especially enjoyed Callie’s, Uncle Harry, and his partner. Though I don’t agree with same sex marriages, I don’t believe in judging others, either. MS ORLOFF did an amazing job with them. I couldn’t help but love them for who they were.
 
Callie Martin hasn’t a clue what’s in store for her when her Uncle Harry sends her on a mission to the house of a brilliant antiquarian, with the intention of pairing her up with the man’s son, August. From the moment August sets eyes on Callie, he’s smitten. Together they embark on a journey of a lifetime, and find love along the way.
 
The pace of the book is good, and keeps you turning the pages. The characters are three-dimensional. The story ended well, tying up loose ends. However, I was disappointed with the end results of August and Callie’s relationship. The reader was left with an amazing confession from August that didn’t match Callie’s or how the story concluded. Their romance ending wasn’t as satisfying as I imagined it could have been. Other than that, it was a great read.

No comments: