Friday, January 31, 2014

A MUST READ - WHETHER OR NOT YOUR AN ADDICT


Title: God Loves the Addict, Experiencing Recovery On the Path of Grace
Author: Eddie Snipes
Publisher: CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform (April 4, 2013)
Pages: 74

At only 74 pages, this little book packs a powerful punch. Wow! What a blessing to have come across GOD LOVES THE ADDICT, EXPERIENCING RECOVERY ON THE PATH OF GRACE, by EDDIE SNIPES. I was interested in reading GOD LOVES THE ADDICT for two reasons. One, being involved in the prison ministry, I run across many individuals that struggle with addiction. I thought it might be a great resource to share with them. The second, I fell in love with MR SNIPES writing after reading his novel, I CALLED HIM DANCER, which I see a correlation between the two. Little did I imagine there would be a third reason, and that is hope and inspiration for me, as well as others in my life.

GOD LOVES THE ADDICT provides a Biblical perspective to addiction. Not only what one would typically think of when they hear the word “addiction”, but what each of us encounter in one form or another. If I were to note every highlight, underlined, asterisk, and notation in my copy, I might be better off copying the entire book. It’s that poignant.

Quote from GOD LOVES THE ADDICT that I found impactful:

“This is very significant, for when you wallow in guilt and shame, you are denying that Jesus paid your debt. While you are crying out, “Please forgive me,” Jesus has already declared, “Father forgive them,” on the cross. And it was Jesus who said, “The Father always hears Me.” That prayer was answered when Jesus spilled His blood for your sins.

One thing we must allow to sink into our hearts is that forgiveness is not dependent upon our abilities to measure up. Forgiveness is a gift of God that is received by faith. Your sin was paid 2000 years ago. Believe this truth and when you sin, thank God for what He has done. Certainly we are sorry for our sins, but we must not allow shame and guilt to take root in our hearts.”

So many of us are hurting, struggling with past and present sins. One of the toughest things we face is forgiving ourselves so we can move on. Addictions are often the results of our inability to let go of our regrets. GOD LOVES THE ADDICT shows us how through Jesus Christ, we can do exactly that.

I encourage you to pick up a copy of GOD LOVES THE ADDICT, even if you don’t struggle with an obvious addiction. It will change your life. I look forward to reading IT IS FINISHED! Steps out of condemnation and into the completed work of Christ, and THE PROMISE OF A SOUND MIND, God’s plan for emotional and mental health, by Eddie Snipes.

 

 

 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Kym;
Having lost a son to drugs years ago, it's still painful to read about addicts being helped. It's not logical to feel that way but it is.

I'm coming along with my cancer treatment and the oncologist said that my tumor has shrunk so I'm happy about that.

Please stop by at my blog and say hi.

Sincerely,
Mike
http://mikedraperinguilford.blogspot.com