Thursday, August 7, 2014

NOT A SHADOW OF DOUBT THAT I LOVED THIS BOOK


Title: Gathering Shadows (Finding Sanctuary
Author: Nancy Mehl
Publisher: Bethany House Publishers (May 6, 2014)
Pages: 320

What you need to know about me before reading my review are two things: One, I’m not a fan of Amish stories. Two, I’m not a fan of mysteries. Therefore, the fact that I LOVED GATHERING SHADOWS (Finding Sanctuary 1), speaks volumes about NANCY MEHL’S writing and ability to tell a story.

Wynter Evans, a reporter, heads to the small town of Sanctuary, after discovering a photograph of a young man that resembles her abducted brother. Zac, the stations photog, is assigned to tag along to capture the story in pictures, while Wynter does so on paper.

Rueben King, the mayor, means to make sure Wynter and her photographer don’t cause any undue harm to the people of Sanctuary, respecting their privacy. What he didn’t expect is to have a growing attraction to the beautiful reporter.

MS MEHL’S writing is superb. I was captivated from the first to the last, page. As a writer, I know that it is an author’s goal to end a chapter in such a way the reader can’t stop. Though many accomplish it for the most part, MS MEHL takes it to another level. She NEVER left it easy to stop at the end of one. I had to force myself to put the book down in the middle of a chapter when I needed to attend to other things, because I knew once I got to the end, I would HAVE to continue on.

The faith aspect is light, yet powerful. The characters strong, and two-dimensional. The storyline keeps you interested, with an ending you would not have guessed. Though the end was satisfying, it left me wanting to read more. I can’t wait for the next in the series. I have a feeling Zac, the photog, will become a main character, and for that I am excited. I also would love to hear more about Wynter and Rueben, and Wynters, brother.

*Please see my profile for more information on this review.

 

1 comment:

Nancy Mehl said...
This comment has been removed by the author.