Monday, September 21, 2009

WHAT I'VE LEARNED ABOUT WRITING - ENTRY #2

The story doesn't actually start until 20,000 words.

I've recently discovered that when starting a new novel, it can take you approximately 20,000 words before you REALLY get into the story. Before it really starts flowing and you get a sense of where you’re going.

So keeping that in mind, write away!

One of the crucial words of wisdom I absorbed from reading Stephen Kings book, ON WRITTING, is to just write/start. The first draft is always the roughest, so know that and get over it...and past it.

Get the story out, and worry about the rest, later.

1 comment:

Lena said...

That's the toughest thing - to start writing, isn't it? But once I do start, I usually write and write, till I can't stop. But scared yet to go for a novel, though