Wednesday, February 2, 2011

GOD AT WORK


I was blessed to be there the night of December 13th, 2010. Each time I walk into Cook County Jail, I feel the Lords presence and that day was no exception. What a blessing to read of how God touched the lives of those we visited behind bars.

12-17-2010

To Whom It May Concern,

My name is Gregory. I’m currently incarcerated in Cook County Dept of Corrections for retail theft. I was stealing to support a 200.00 a day crack cocaine drug habit. I’m also a journey man Tool and Die maker of 31 years. I don’t feel I was arrested, I truly believe that I was rescued by the Lord because I was on a suicide mission. I’ve been using drugs and alcohol for 43 long and hard years. I’m 56 years old now. They have caused me loss, grief, pain, trouble and emotional misery for my entire life.

Well, your church came into division 14 Monday night, December 13th. I came to your service that night and I can honestly say that I have never experienced anything so awesome in my life. The words that your Pastor brought to us about brokenness pierced my heart. I can’t begin to tell you all the emotions I felt that night. I can’t even identify them all. I can tell you this, I felt the Holy Spirits presence and He literally touched my heart so very deeply.

The music was so, so joyful and rich and pure, a true blessing. Halfway through the songs I started crying and couldn’t stop and didn’t want to. I know I’m a broken man and I know now that there is a God and He wants to heal me, teach me, love me, and guide me to a better Holy life. It took you to come out and bring this message to me. I know that it was by no accident that I was in that room Monday night. The Lord brought each and every one of you to me to deliver His message. I received it loud and clear and I’m usually hard headed and stubborn but somehow my heart was touched like never before. It was fantastic.

I’m on fire. I received the Lord into my heart and my life. I finally surrendered. I know I can’t do this alone and the way I’ve been doing this so far. I’m just so excited in the Lord and to think that He loves so much that He sent you guys to reach out to me. As a result of Monday night, December 13th, 2010 I was saved and now I need more guidance and help than ever. But I’m not worried because the Lord will provide it. He will see to it that everything I need will be provided somehow, someway for sure. Praise the Lord for saving me from myself.

I will be released from division 14, drug rehab unit, in May of 2011and then will be on intensive probation for two years. I was living under a bride at Belmont and Kedzie for ten years. That’s ten long Chicago winters and Chicago winters are brutal. I tell you this to show you that all that had to happen to bring me to jail to be in that room Monday night, divine intervention no less!

When released from here I’ll have to find some kind of halfway house or after care. I’ll need housing and other thing but I know the Lord will provide. I want to thank you so much for coming out and volunteering to do the Lords work. All the inmates really enjoyed themselves. I don’t think there was a dry eye in the house. We were all balling like babies but afterwards, once we got up into our rooms, it felt like a ton of bricks had been lifted off of my head, heart and soul. What a physical release. Truly amazing!

Anyway, I was praying about this and God put this on my heart to come join Willow Creek when I’m released and worship with you, and be Baptized, and then to serve the Lord and the church. In the meantime, I’m praying that someone from willow would either visit me or write me or send me some spiritual books, Bible dictionary, concordance or spiritual Bible studies, literature, anything. I love to read and can’t get enough of the word and spiritual literature that supports the truth of the Bible. I can receive books as long as they’re soft cover. I’m praying that Willow Creek will bless me with this.

I’m also looking for a sponsor or a spiritual mentor to guide me in Christ as I grow. I’m new at this and I have a hard time asking for help because I don’t trust anyone, however the Bible tells me to ask and I shall receive. I know I have a lot of work ahead of me and I’m very persistent, but I’m just asking for some encouragement and guidance from a brother in Christ. Someone I know I can trust. Please take my request into consideration and find the compassion within your heart to bless me, an eager brother in Christ!

Anyway I pray that I here from someone soon. The Lord is the one who led me to you and I praise Him for that. I’m on fire and can’t sit still. I want to be a part of the Willow Creek family. You have a blessed house together. I saw with my own eyes the passion in your heart, and the convictions of your beliefs I heard with my own ears, and I felt your desire on my heart to help your fellow Christians. I would like to be a part of that. I must be a part of that.


Thank you and God bless you,
Your brother in Christ, Gregory

2 comments:

Karyn said...

This was so cool. That must feel awesome to be part of that. I've always wanted to go volunteer at a prison someday.

Kym McNabney said...

Karyn,

I would recommend it to anyone how has interest. You will be blessed in a way you never thought imaginable. There's nothing like following your calling from the Lord, and serving Him.

Blessings,

Kym