Friday, August 6, 2010

IF ONLY...ANOTHER LESSON IN WRITTING


From what I'd been hearing THE TIME TRAVELER’S WIFE was a must see movie. I thought often about purchasing the book, and reading it first. I thought often about seeing the movie. My busy life didn't allow me to get to the movie theater, and the stack of unread books I have kept me from purchasing the book. Besides, I'm growing leery of reading a book prior to a movie. At least right before I know a movie is coming out, and it's in book form. When a book is so fresh in your mind, and the movie makes some major changes, and or leave some amazing parts out, its' hard to take. It's a whole other circumstance when I've read the book, and some time later, usually years; it comes out in movie form. I then HAVE to see it...if the book was good, of course.

While at the library the other day, I spotted THE TIME TRAVERL’S WIFE and didn't think twice about grabbing it. That very night I watched it.

After seeing the movie, though I know books are ALWAYS better, I'm glad I didn't purchase the book and read it. I believe I would have been thoroughly confused. But more than that I was a little mystified of what the story clearly missed in my eyes.

Why was he traveling back in time?

The movie was good in that it kept you interested. The acting was great. I even cried, yet I felt I was cheated. Cheated out of knowing the meaning to his travels. Why the author didn't make that know is beyond me. Or maybe it's me. Maybe I missed something. I just feel that if there was a clear reason for his travel, the story could have been hugely powerful; instead it left me wondering what'd it all mean. Why...

I'll still rate this movie high, and tell others that it was a good movie...just not great. Not great because the author missed their chance to make it great in my eyes. What a shame. But it was a unique romance if nothing else.

Maybe it's just writer in me.

5 comments:

kathy taylor said...

This was a fascinating movie for me. My daughter read the book & said it was her favorite. Hubs and I saw the movie last year at our anniversary (a romantic choice, huh?). I love Rachel McAdams, a fan of hers since The Notebook. I'm waiting to see this as a reduced price DVD.

Kym McNabney said...

Kathy,

I agree, the move was good, and in many ways a wonderful romance. I just felt like there was something missing, not knowing the reason for his time travel. I thought it would have been very powerful if he ended up saving someone’s life, or altered another’s in a positive way because of it. Maybe I missed something.

The story reminded me a bit of a book coauthored with James Patterson, SUNDAYS AT TIFFANY. Maybe in a way it was the same point that he saves the little girl from her lonely existence of her parent’s world. That was clear in SUNDAYS AT TIFFANY, which I thought a wonderful “romantic fairy tale”.

Blessings,

Kym

Unknown said...

I haven't seen the movie, but the book was fantastic. It's one of those stories that will stick with me for the rest of my life, in large part because of Niffenegger's incredibly crafted writing.

Kym McNabney said...

K.M. Weiland,

Okay, so now you have me wanting to read the book. :-)

Blessings,

Kym

~Brenda said...

I never read the book, but I thought the movie was LAME. I just didn't get it, I guess.