Tuesday, July 23, 2013

A BRIDE FOR ALL SEASONS: THE MAIL ORDER BRIDE COLLECTION


Title: A Bride for All Seasons: The Mail Order Bride Collection
Author: Margaret Brownley, Debra Clopton, Robin Lee Hatcher, Mary Connealy
Publisher: Thomas Nelson (June 18, 2013)
Pages: 400

A BRIDE FOR ALL SEASONS: THE MAIL ORDER BRIDE COLLECTION is an anthology of four stories by different authors. I love how each story is connected by the Hitching Post Mail Order Bride, yet stands alone.

AND THEN CAME SPRING, by MARGARET BROWNLEY

Having only read two other books by MARGARET BROWNLEY, I was excited to read AND THEN CAME SPRING. The story began with a strong beginning, drawing me right in, just as MS BROWNLY has done in previous books I’ve read by her.

MARY-JO PARKER crossed many miles to meet the man she was to marry; just to discover he was the subject of the town funeral. If it wasn’t bad enough that the man she was to marry passed away, she discovered someone had tampered with the letters they’d shared, deceiving both parties involved.

TOM GARRETT wasn’t sure what MS PARKER was up too, but he intended to find out. He not only took on the responsibility of his brothers kid when he passes away, he now had to figure out what to do with his mail order bride.

AN EVER AFTER SUMMER, by DEBRA CLOPTON

As a huge fan of DEBRA CLOPTON, I snatch up any book with her name on it. The fact that I had read and loved a couple of MARGARET BROWNLEY’S books, and I wanted to read a book by ROBIN LEE HATCHER and MARY CONNEALY, only added to my decision.

I admit I haven’t read many novellas, but what I’ve read, I’ve come to the conclusion that few can pull it off. If you’ve never attempted to write a short story, you can’t begin to understand the difficulties in producing a well written story in so few words. I have to say I was impressed with MS CLOPTON’S ability to do so.

AN EVER AFTER SUMMER, if I’m not mistaken, is MS CLOPTON’S first novella, as well as her first historical. MS CLOPTON delivered in both areas. It’s the best novella to date that I’ve read. Up until now, her stories have been contemporary. I wouldn’t mind seeing more historical from her in the future. As so typical of MS CLOPTON’S writing, AN EVER AFTER SUMMER captured me from the first to the last page. I can’t wait for her next story to be published.

The nerve of that man! ELLIE SMITH  had never considered herself a “Bible thumper”. Just because MR MCCONNELL was misinformed of her faith by someone who took it upon themselves to alter their letters, didn’t mean she tried to hide her faith from him.
 
MATTHEW MCCONNELL took one look at the woman holding a Bible in her hand and realized he’d been misinformed. As far as he’s concerned, she can turn her pretty self around and head back where she came from. 

AUTUM’S ANGEL by ROBIN LEE HATCHER

I was pleasantly surprised by WINTER WEDDING BELLS by ROBIN LEE HATCHER. It's well writing, with a wonderful plot. That novellas are harder to write then novels, leaves me to believe I’ll be in for a real treat in reading one of MS HATCHER’S full length novels.
 
I’ve been looking forward to reading one of MS HATCHER’S books for some time. I hadn’t expected to be introduced to her writing through a novella in a collection of stories that included one of my favorite authors, DEBRA CLOPTON. MS HATCHER now has a new fan.

LUVENA ABBOTT hadn’t traveled for days just to turn back around. No, just because CLAY BIRCH wasn’t expecting her arrival to included children, didn’t mean she had the means to head back where she’d just come from.

MISS ABBOTT was every bit as pretty as her picture, but CLAY had made it perfectly clear he wanted no part of a widow with children.  He needed someone strong and courageous. One that could handle the land. The small mining town he called home, wasn’t suited for kids.

WINTER WEDDING BELLS, by MARY CONNEALY 

Some years ago I read a book by a popular author with a heroin that was from Ireland. Throughout the entire book, the character spoke with a heavy Irish dialect. To date it’s the most exhausting fiction I’ve read. What I appreciated about MARY CONNEALY’S, WINTER WEDDING BELLS, is the mention of the heroines Irish decent, giving the readers just a touch of the dialect. The right amount to let the reader know she has an accent, without bogging down the story.

DAVID LARAMIE has been told he doesn’t have long to live. He placed an ad for a wife who is strong enough to take care of his farm, as well as his children.

MEGAN MCBRIDE knew from MR LARAMIE’S letters that he was sick, but she never imagined he didn’t have long to live, as David professes. Megan plans to not only prove to David that she will be a good mother to his children, but that he’ll be around for many years to come.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I cannot wait to read "A Bride for All Seasons".
It looks amazing. Thanks for this post! I found it from the ACFW loop and followed your blog.

Kym McNabney said...

Thanks, Heather. I hope you enjoy it.

Blessings,

Kym