Saturday, November 13, 2010

A MONSTROUSE BOOK


THE WRITER’S JOURNEY is quite a monstrous book in size as well as the information it contains. I must admit it took me some time to get through it. Although I don’t regret reading it I must say in many ways it was way beyond my comprehension. So much information that I had a hard time deciphering it all. The examples were extensive which had its advantages as well as its disadvantages.

I would have to say what I took away from this book is the sense that characters are quite complex, thus are humans. I now have a different perspective on the structure of a novel, and even more so the importance of it. This book also put to words the feelings an amazing movie or book can provoke. Why, how, and the importance of it.

At one of my writing meetings, we watched the concepts of this book being taught by the authors on DVD. Though I was only able to watch the first half, I must say it was easier to comprehend then the book. I would highly recommend the DVD’s verses the book.

What book on the craft of writing has had the greatest impact in your writing journey?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Way over my head! But I'm glad you got something out of it :-)

Kym McNabney said...

I agree, it's way over my head as well. I was glad to be finished with it and move on to an easier read.