Friday, August 10, 2012

SOMETHING DIFFERENT


Title: Starters

Author: Lissa Price
Publisher: Delacorte Books for Young Readers (March 13, 2012)
Pages: 352

The main character in STARTERS by LISSA PRICE has the same name as of my oldest daughter. That’s what first drew me to the book. My daughter later received the first chapter while exiting the movie theater. It intrigued her enough to ask me to purchase it for her. She didn’t get very far before putting it down. She expressed that she was confused by what was going on.

Every book my daughter has asked me to read after her doing so, I’ve enjoyed. So when she didn’t take to STARTERS, I let it sit in my pile of books to be read for some time before finally gave it a try.

Callie Woodland is on a quest to keep her brother safe, clothes on his back, and food in his stomach. They lost their parents years ago, and have been on their own ever since. In an attempt to make a life for the two of them, Callie decides to rent out her body to Prime Destination.

After Callie completes her rental time, she’ll walk away with enough money to purchase a house and necessities. Yet all is not what it seems at Prime Destination, and soon Callie finds herself in the middle of a mysterious plot. It’s no longer about her brother and her survival, but the lives of every teen.

STARTERS drew me in right away with wonderful writing in first person. In the beginning it’s hard to grasp what’s going on, but stick with it. The outcome will be worth it. I found it hard to put down, never a dull moment. STARTERS is packed full of mystery, suspense, and even a little romance. What a unique plot, with a surprise ending. I definitely see movie written all over it.

I was surprised to discover this is the first book in a series, and look forward to reading the others.

No comments: