Tuesday, October 26, 2010

SHOCKING…HORRIFYING…UNTHINKABLE


As much as I was disturbed by this movie for so many reasons, I was also very disturbed by a few reviewers’ comments. I agree, the movie was not presented in the most entertaining way but really, that was not the point, nor its purpose. How can one be so shallow as to not have compassion and sympathy for these individuals and what they endured?

I’ve volunteered in the prison and jail ministry for several years. No matter how much society wants to deny it, these cases are not rare, unheard of, or fabricated. They happen all the time! What often goes on in the systems can be like a horror movie played out, messing with people’s lives on all kinds of levels. Destroying one individual at a time, often taking many innocent people with them.

One thing this movie brought to lights is not only is the system often unjust, the people working in it are often evil, filled and hatred. There are innocent lives being shattered, as well as the affects it has on their loved ones.

How often do people point fingers, condemn, and judge! But never stop to think of their loved ones. They are often the innocent and hurting. We all have a father and a mother, grandparents, many of us siblings, aunts and uncles, cousins, best friends. Whether or not someone is guilty or innocent, they often have loved ones out there that did nothing wrong to deserve the hurt by every cruel word and action directed towards the one convicted.

This movie elicited so many emotions it’s hard to even put them into words. Each story unique, tugging at my heart. To think what these individuals endured! How their families suffered! And for what?!?!? They were all innocent! But the revelation of that fact could NEVER reverse the damage that had been done from a wrongful conviction!

But through it all, God did show up! These men and this woman are extraordinary, faithful, inspiring individuals.

When the movie ended I was speechless, motionless for some time. I clenched my eyes shut and sat in silence, tying to soak it all in.

How? – How could people be so cruel?


Why? - Why do we allow such things to happen?


Evil? - How can one allow Satan to enter their lives and inflict so much pain and injustices?


God? - God has nothing to do with Evil…that’s all Satan. God allows us free will, and with that free will many men have chosen to follow Satan instead of God, therefore allowing evil to attempt to devour the world and destroy God’s people He loves so dearly.


When I was finally able to pull myself together, I did the only thing I could after such an experience. I reached for my Bible. I closed my eyes and opened it up. The pages before me…the end of Matthew, chapter 12 and be beginning of chapter 13. The bold heading that stood out and grabbed my attention reflected that of the movie. Once again God had not failed to comfort me in my time of need, giving me His word to find peace. At least enough to allow me to eventually fall asleep.


I pray that people from all over will watch this movie. That it will move their hearts the way it did mine, giving them the knowledge and compassion to realize we are in no position to judge and condemn. Yes, there are those that are guilty and should pay for their crimes. But there are also those that are wrongfully convicted. For those that are guilty, I just have one phrase those judging…What would Jesus do! And that’s not a question. The facts are all there in black in one. One just has to open the cover and read. Treat others they way you’d want to be treated. You reap what you sow. And the greatest of these is…love.


REVIEWERS COMMENT I FOUND VERY DISTURBING:
Pure talking heads here. Several wrongly convicted ex-cons, played by actors, tell their stories of woe. You've heard it all before. This is a stage play adaptation that's more play than movie. Maybe the play worked better. This got on my nerves.


MY COMMENT TO THIS REVIEWER:
Sorry to hear you missed the whole point. The words "no heart" comes to mind. I agree at first it was hard to stay focus. So many different stories and the way it was presented. But if you’d stuck with it, you might have been captivated by the individual’s lives, as well as discovered the horrifying truths and then maybe you would have discovered some compassion within.


MORE REVIEWERS COMMENTS THAT DIDN’T SETTLE WELL:
1) Anyone can tell these people's stories. I would be pissed if I have to pay to see this movie in the theater.
2) This HAS to be one of the BORINGEST if not The Most Boring movie I’ve EVER seen !!!Guess I could tag it A Waste Of Time?

COMMENT TO A REVIEWERS:
Sorry to hear you missed the whole point. The words "no heart" comes to mind. I agree at first it was hard to stay focus. So many different stories and the way it was presented. Sorry to hear you weren't captivated by the individual’s stories enough to discover the horrifying truths of then, allowing you to ascertain some compassion within.

If you chose to make the effort to locate and watch this movie, I’d love to hear your thoughts on it.

Blessing,

Kym

6 comments:

Jacki said...

Will make it a point to get this movie in hand and watch. Thanks Kim for always being on the up on this sensitive subject with love and the right kind of heart.

Kym McNabney said...

Jacki,

Hope you're able to locate a copy. Maybe check with your local library and if they don't have it, maybe a nearby one might. I bought mine, used, off Amazon.

Blessings.

Kym

Catherine West said...

Interesting! I will have to watch now, with your comments in mind!

Kym McNabney said...

Catherine,

I hope you'll find it as moving as I did. I feel it's a must see for everyone to gain insight, if nothing else.

Blessings,

Kym

Melanie N. Brasher said...

Kym,

thanks for your thoughts on this film. I will have to watch it now. I really like thought provoking movies.

thanks for stopping by my site and blessing me with your encouraging comment. Glad that the Lord has blessed you with four kids!

Kym McNabney said...

Ryan and Melanie,

I got the DVD used off AMAZON for only $4.00, including shipping. You can always check with your local library but I don’t think this is a movie most places would have. I hope it moves you in the say way it moved and enlightened me. Although I was aware those kinds of things went on, to hear it in great detail in the way it was presented, from real cases, really hit me in a way I’ll forever be changed.

Blessings to you and your family.

Kym