Thursday, May 21, 2009

THE LEARNING NEVER STOPS

After receiving my test results from ACFW, I realized that I really needed to figure out not just what was wrong with my writing, but how to fix it. To make it the best it can be.

This is a critical time in my writing career and I don’t want to blow it. When starting out as a writer, it is so important to put out the very best work possible. If you are one of the lucky ones to get published, you don’t want it to be because of luck. Luck will only get you so far. You want it to be because you wrote an amazing story. One that will capture your readers in all aspects a story can provide.

Your story must not just have a great story line, but MUST also be well written. It needs to flow easily, have great conflict, and keep the readers turning the pages. You want the reader to have a difficult time putting your book down once they’ve started. Capture them from the very first, to the very last page. To create a story that there is no good place to put it down is your ultimate goal.

Of course I have some favorite authors that when I see their books, I purchase it. There’s no need to read the back cover or first few pages. I already know I’ll love it because I’ve come to expect what will await me inside. But even some of my favorite authors have put out a “bad” story. But because I know how great they’re writing is, I have to check it off to time restraint. The pressure to get in a story with their publisher in a certain amount of time, or even just having a, “bad day”, so to speak. Hey, we all have them. But when you’ve produced so many great novels, you can get away with it. Not so when you’re starting out. You need to build your reader/fans, first.

So, be wary of your first several novels you put out there. Don’t be in such a rush to get published that you compromise your writing, and ultimately your writing career. When a reader picks up your book and if it doesn’t deliver a great story, along with great writing, the next time they see your name on that front cover, they’ll most likely pass it on bye.

No comments: